Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tzatziki or Yogurt Cucumber Sauce

So my breath smells like garlic right now because I just ate some homemade tzatziki. And it was good, just don't come too close to me. No, seriously.

Grant and I like to make gyros at home. It's an easy dinner to throw together and it is so good. Well, you can't have gyros without the yogurt sauce or tzatziki so here is my recipe for tzatziki (it's just a fun word to say).

*about 3 cups of greek yogurt (here's the thing- you need a thick yogurt it's just not as good with plain "watery" yogurt. So I would recommend buying greek yogurt or you can take plain 'ol yogurt and put it in cheesecloth to drain overnight or at least a couple of hours. Bonus, you get whey which you can use in other healthy type recipes)

*one cucumber peeled, deseeded and finely diced

*2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced

*handful of fresh or dried mint leaves crushed or finely chopped (this is completely optional, but it adds a nice flavor)

*salt to taste (pepper optional too)

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for an hour.

So easy. And it's not just for gyros-- this makes a great dip or just eat it as a snack.

Because my family is Lebanese, we've used this dip a lot with various Lebanese/greek type food. Yummy.

That's it. Go make some for yourself and then give your loved one a kiss.

2 comments:

Move In Ready Home! said...

I love love love the veggie pita at Hectors and the best part is the cucumber dressing. I just found out that you can buy it by the pound but I may try making this instead. It looks super easy!

Jan said...

Tzatziki....hee hee, that is fun to say. :) I had no clue your family was Lebanese. I would have loved to grow up in your house with all of the Lebanese food. Our neighbors are Lebanese and make food all the time to share. Oh so good! I love your recipe for tzatziki sauce. We've made Gyros at home with a homemade tzatziki sauce, but I think I like your recipe for it better (will definitely have to try). So, are you going to include the rest of your recipe for Gyros (what other ingredients do you use.....do you make your own Gyro meat "loaf", what kind of pitas do you use, etc...). Details please! :) We eat at Taza Grill all the time and would love to duplicate something similar at home. YUMMY! :)