Friday, June 3, 2011

Black Beauty and Others

I realize it's been awhile since I've posted anything about what I've read.  I'm really trying to keep the t.v. off during the day and there's not much else I can do when we are both downstairs together.  She's in that stage where she moves really fast and still likes to put everything in her mouth, so I don't dare try to sew or clean when she's awake and at play!  Not much left to do except read.  But that's not a bad thing!

I finished Emma by Jane Austen.  This book was the easiest to read of Jane Austen's work for me (so far).  Since I knew the movie so well it probably helped me to keep the characters straight, which, you know, is kind of important when you read.  Overall, I really did enjoy this book.  I liked the characters and I understood what was going on.  I have never read Pride and Prejudice (gasp), so I'm reading that now.  I'm finding that it is also easier to read and understand.  I don't know if it's because I know the story so well or am getting used to Austen's style.

I also read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  Super easy read.  I didn't think the story was very well developed but it was certainly enjoyable.  I guess that's it on that one.

My favorite recently has been Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.  Wow, that is a beautiful book to read!  If there are any animal lovers (especially horse lovers) out there, you MUST read this book.  It's told from the horse's perspective.  A reoccurring theme (for the humans) was to stand up to injustice.  Stand up for those who don't have a voice.  Much easier said than done, I know. Besides that, it emphasized how kindness and gentleness were the best ways to treat horses.  I've never trained horses, but I can imagine that is very true and extends to other animals.  I was so afraid it would have a bad ending, but it doesn't.  Thank goodness.  Anyway, it's a fabulous, easy read.   

That's it so far!

No comments: