Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fast and Easy Pillows

Pillows are one of the easiest sewing projects to make, but I have always made mine with loose batting and, consequently, they usually turn lumpy pretty fast.  I had come across an envelope style pillow tutorial and put it in the back of my mind for the next time I needed to sew a pillow.  Well, I finally got a reason to try out this new style.  My friend wanted me to make matching quilts and pillows for her soon-to-be-here nephews (twins) with an owl theme.  Perfect!


I appliqued the owls onto the pillow case. 



It's hard to see the envelope part of the pillow in this picture (towards the bottom), but it's there.  I also wanted to add a little color in the back so I added the yellow and orange fabric. 

This is the cleanest, neatest, crispest (word?) pillow cover.  I followed her math using a 14 x 14 pillow.  Oh my goodness y'all (that's the southern speaking), it's so tailored looking.  I will always do pillows like this from now on!

Hope the tutorial helps someone! 

3 comments:

Jan said...

LOVE these! Great colors too! If we ever have a second child, I'm totally hiring you to do the nursery. :)

Naturally Carol said...

Great cushions. Loving the owls and the colours..I've just checked out the cushion tutorial..good one. I am now following you too!

Robin said...

I've used that method and loved it for years. Until...drum roll, I dared to try the invisible zipper. Aw sweet love...I dare you to try it. I promise it will be worth it. And if you don't believe me, just think of all the fabric you'll save. xoxo