Sunday, March 6, 2011

Homemade Butter . . . really.

My friend, Krystal, posted the neatest link on how to make your own butter.  I've always wanted to try it, but never got around to it.  After seeing how easy it is, I decided to give it a go.  I happened to have heavy whipping cream in the fridge (doesn't everyone keep that as a staple?!), so I poured about a 1/3 of a quart into my chilled mixing bowl. 


After about 7 minutes on high, I realized that my mixing bowl wasn't scraping the edges properly to form butter, so I switched it to a mini food processor (just like in the video). 


It took about 30 seconds for the butter to separate and form.


Then I put it through two cold water rinses (see the video link).  I added a touch of salt and mixed it some more.  Then I transferred to a small dish and squeezed the excess water out with a spoon.


It was so easy and it really does taste so much better than store bought butter- much creamier.  I don't know what the cost analysis is yet, but it may be worth it in the end.  In any event, it tastes divine.

This is one super easy and super tasty treat that is sure to impress people at your next dinner!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Now I know you can do it all. This proves it. :) I love that you made your own butter. So cool! You've encouraged me to give it a try. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I will be trying this soon. Thanks for testing it out and reporting back!

Susan said...

I've been wondering about this as butter is SO expensive, especially for organic. I would be interested to know if this way saves you money (since cream is expensive also). Thanks for sharing!

The Vernon's said...

I've made butter before.. but I used butter milk (I think.. it was a while ago). Is there a different in the final product you think?

Love Coraline's hair, btw! She is just too cute!