Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Another Upcyle- Baby Skirt

I'm having too much fun- can you tell?  I love the idea of taking old clothes and remaking them into something else (preferably one my daughter can wear)!  I went to the goodwill to stock up on some womens' corduroys and other pants to transform into skirts for Coraline to use during the winter.

I did not take a picture of the pants, but it was a women's velvety gray pair of pants.  I was inspired by this pattern.  I needed more material than the pattern called for, so I thought a ruffle in the middle of the skirt would be cute.  I had some Moda fabric left over from a quilt and it had that perfect touch of gray in it.  I took a 2 1/4 inch strip (twice as long as the skirt) and created a double ruffle (my own term)- basically I just put a baste stitch on the top and bottom of the material and pulled the string to create a ruffle. 


I have decided that I love the way this waist is done- creating a space for the elastic so that it ruffles at the top.  It looks so much more "finished" to me then without it.  It will look much cuter with onesies too!

Here's a close up of the ruffle.


I would never pair the shirt with this skirt, but I wanted to get a picture of her in it for the blog.  I do like it with the leggings though!




4 comments:

Jan said...

It's just beautiful! Just wait until she's standing up and then walking. You'll be making even more for her to show off. You are so incredibly talented! I love the skirt!!!

anne maskell said...

This is so cute! (and your daughter is adorable!) I'm visiting with trh, hope you visit me too!

Sandra Toro said...

ohh is so cute!!!! and the skirt is really beautiful!!!

Alie said...

That is adorable --- so is she